
‘Asia Cup ho jaye bas…’ quips Rashid Latif



![]()
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) Chelsea’s new manager Xabi Alonso has outlined his ambitions for the club as he begins work ahead of the new season, insisting the timing of his appointment is right and that the squad possesses the quality to compete at the highest level.
Alonso said he is prepared for the expectations that come with leading Chelsea and wants to use pre-season to establish a clear identity built around intensity, control and attacking football.
The former midfielder said Chelsea’s history and winning culture were among the factors that made the opportunity particularly attractive to him.
“I have always been drawn to clubs with a rich history and a winning tradition, and Chelsea is certainly one of them. For me, this is a great honour and a fantastic opportunity. The timing feels right for both the club and myself and I believe we are at a point where we can build something special together. I am fully aware of the expectations and the challenge ahead, but I am ready for it. I am looking forward to getting started and giving my best for this club,” Alonso told JioStar.
Alonso takes charge of a Chelsea squad he believes already has a strong foundation, although he acknowledged that changes will be required as the club looks to establish a new project under his leadership.
“Chelsea have a great history and have enjoyed tremendous success over the last couple of decades. The squad is good and has a lot of potential. Of course, there are areas we need to improve. We are starting a new project and we want to build a team that plays with intensity, controls games, and competes at the highest level. We need to be smart, work hard, and create a team that brings energy to the pitch and plays attractive football. That is the goal, whether we are at home or away,” he added.
The Spaniard also revealed that he had already studied the squad and had formed an understanding of its strengths and shortcomings before discussions with the club progressed.
“When I started talking with the club, I already had a clear idea about the team, the players, and the way they have played not too long ago. I knew the strengths and the areas that needed improvement. We will build on that foundation, update a few things, and make the necessary corrections. But I truly believe this squad has the quality to compete at the highest level and achieve great things. That is where we start,” Alonso stated.
With the new season still to come, Alonso sees the pre-season period as an important opportunity to translate his ideas into a collective approach. Beyond tactical preparation, he wants the squad to develop an understanding of the demands and standards expected under his management.
“It’s good that we have enough time in pre-season to prepare properly before the new season starts. This period is crucial for building relationships on and off the pitch. We will use it to get to know each other and start creating the belief in how we want to play and compete. We need to establish our identity and make sure everyone is on the same page, but we need to ensure that the foundation we need to build starts coming together immediately,” he mentioned.
— IANS
vi/

![]()
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) Steve Smith, Australia’s captain for the Test tour of Sri Lanka, is under an elbow injury cloud but is expected to join the pre-tour camp in Dubai later this week, said Cricket Australia (CA) on Sunday.
CA added that left-arm spinner Matthew Kuhnemann is recovering after a surgery on his fractured thumb suffered while playing in the Big Bash League (BBL), while regular skipper Pat Cummins recovery from left ankle soreness will continued to be monitored following a specialist advice.
Smith sustained an injury to his right elbow whilst throwing in the field for the Sydney Sixers in the Big Bash League on Friday, with the game being eventually rained out against Sydney Thunder.
He was spotted wearing an elbow brace on his right arm on Sunday, where he had been operated on in 2019. CA said despite the injury, Smith is preparing to join the Test squad in Dubai later this week following further specialist input and that updates will be shared as they are known.
Regarding Kuhnemann, CA said he will remain in Australia while the surgical wound on his fractured thumb heals further. “He is planned to resume bowling this week with a view to joining the squad in Sri Lanka if he continues to progress well,” added CA.
Kuhnemann had played three Tests on tour of India in early 2023, and even picked a five-wicket haul. After that, he was out of the team till him picking 18 wickets in six Sheffield Shield for his new side Tasmania catapulted him back to the Australian Test team.
Australia’s two-match Test series against Sri Lanka will begin on January 29 in Galle, followed by the second game beginning on February 6 at the same venue. It is followed by two ODIs in Colombo on February 12 and 14.
Meanwhile, CA stated that Cummins, who has been named as Australia’s captain for the Champions Trophy, is recovering from increased left ankle soreness which was aggravated by high workloads during the Test summer, where he led the team to 3-1 series win over India.
Cummins, who opted out of Tests in Sri Lanka for the birth of his second child, will seek specialist rehabilitation advice this week and is likely to require a period of physical preparation and recovery. “The NSP will continue to monitor Cummins’ recovery leading into the Champion’s Trophy,” concluded CA.
–IANS
nr/bc

![]()
Mumbai, June 4 (IANS) India’s T20I skipper Suryakumar Yadav lit up the opening day of the third season of the T20 Mumbai League 2025 with a blistering 25-ball half-century. However, his heroics weren’t enough as Sairaj Patil’s impressive cameo helped a spirited Eagle Thane Strikers claim a five-wicket win against Triumph Knights Mumbai North East at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai on Wednesday.
Suryakumar (50), ably supported by Jigar Rana (53), anchored the Knights’ innings as they posted a competitive 179/7 after being asked to bat first. The start wasn’t ideal for the Knights, but Rana and Parikshit Valsangkar steadied the innings with a crucial 88-run partnership. Once Rana fell to a slower ball and Parikshit was run out in the next over, Suryakumar took control of the proceedings.
The India star found company in Jay Jain (24) as the pair added 40 runs to keep the innings steady during the middle overs. Jain’s stay ended when he was cramped for room by Amit Pandey, with keeper Anish Chaudhary whipping off the bails. Despite the quick wickets, Suryakumar remained calm and clinical at the death, unleashing a flurry of powerful strokes to lift the Knights to a strong finish and set the tone for the tournament.
In response, Varun Lavande powered the Strikers’ chase with a fiery 57 off 38 balls, guiding them to a strong 89/1 at the halfway mark. His 73-run stand with Anish (37) laid a solid foundation, but the momentum briefly shifted after the Knights came up with a couple of quick wickets.
However, Sairaj Patil’s entry ensured that the Strikers remained in the contest as he smoked four mammoth sixes in his 22-ball unbeaten 47 to seal the deal for his side.
SoBo Mumbai Falcons, MSC Maratha Royals win
Earlier, in the tournament opener at the DY Patil Stadium, SoBo Mumbai Falcons edged past ARCS Andheri in a Super Over after rain halted the match just three overs into the Falcons’ innings.
Put in to bat, the Falcons were 26/1 when play was stopped, with opener Ishan Mulchandani (8 off 5) bowled by ARCS Andheri spinner Musheer Khan. Stand-in captain Angkrish Raghuvanshi (15 not out) and Amogh Bhatkal (1 not out) were at the crease when heavy showers forced an early end to the match.
In the resulting Super Over, Akash Parker smashed a quickfire 27 runs for the Falcons. In response, ARCS Andheri faltered and could only manage 13, handing SoBo Mumbai Falcons a narrow win.
Considered one of the best domestic T20 leagues across the country, the tournament was earlier inaugurated in the presence of MCA President Ajinkya Naik, Secretary Abhay Hadap, former MCA President Dr Vijay Patil, Chairman of League Governing Council Vihang Sarnaik, along with MCA Apex Council Members at the DY Patil Stadium.
The second match of the day, played at Wankhede Stadium between Aakash Tigers MWS and Mumbai South Central Maratha Royals, was also affected by rain and reduced to a nine-over contest. Batting first, the Royals put up a competitive 96/4, thanks to Rohan Raje’s explosive 48 off 21 balls. In reply, the Tigers were restricted to 88/5, with Maxwell David Swaminathan starring with the ball, picking up two crucial wickets to seal an eight-run win for the Royals.
Brief scores:
Match 1: SoBo Mumbai Falcons: 27 (Akash Parker 27) beat ARCS Andheri 13 (Shivam Dube 12, Musheer Khan 1) via Super Over.
Match 2: Mumbai South Central Maratha Royals: 96/4 (Rohan Raje 48 not out) beat Akash Tigers MWS: 88/5 (Jay Bista 23; Maxwell Swaminathan 2/15) by eight runs.
Match 3: Triumph Knights Mumbai North East 179/6 (Jigar Rana 53, Suryakumar Yadav 50 not out) lose to Eagle Thane Strikers 181/5 (Varun Lavande 57, Siaraj Patil 47 not out) by five wickets.
–IANS
bsk/
